6/21/09

101 degrees and rising



The heat makes the laundry dry faster in the housing projects, and it certainly calls for water (especially when you don't have air conditioning. At one point, there were eight kids in this tiny pool. Some of them jumped in with their blue jeans still on. The water guns were a bit disconcerting in a place so plagued by violence. Watching them aim at one another gave me a newfound appreciation for my mother, who never let us play with anything resembling a gun (we had buckets and plastic fire extinguishers that sprayed water). I came back to the paper and got a lecture on being careful in those sorts of places. I guess it's just my prerogative to think the best of people. I think that it actually keeps me out of those situations. It's not that I don't keep my eyes peeled. I just treat people well, and they keep reciprocating.

No comments: